Baltimore Harm Reduction Coalition (BHRC), a program of Fusion Partnerships, Inc., mobilizes community members for the health, dignity, and safety of people targeted by the War on Drugs or anti sex-worker policies, and advocates for harm reduction as part of a broader movement for social justice.
BHRC is hiring a part-time Legislative Advocacy Intern to support the coordination of a statewide network for harm reduction advocacy during the 2019 Maryland General Assembly. The hours of this position will be flexible but the Intern should expect to work approximately 5-10 hours per week from November to April. This internship will pay $16/hour.
The intern will work closely with the Legislative Advocacy Coordinator to:
- Track legislation in the Maryland General Assembly;
- Develop educational materials for legislators;
- Prepare policy documents including fact sheets and backgrounders, ask summaries, and other advocacy materials;
- Support planning for advocacy events in Annapolis;
- Other tasks as needed.
Candidates with personal experience of substance use, incarceration, sex work, homelessness or otherwise being targeted by the War on Drugs or anti sex worker policies are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications and Expectations:
- A successful candidate for this position will be organized, detail oriented, and comfortable working independently as well as collaborating with other staff members, interns, and volunteers.
- Candidates should have knowledge of and commitment to harm reduction and racial justice.
- Candidate will be expected to participate in regular meetings with project leadership.
- Candidates will need to be experienced with online navigation and be willing to learn how to track legislation through the Maryland General Assembly online portal. Experience with Microsoft Office products and Google Drive applications a plus.
- Cover letter and resume should be sent to Harriet Smith at bmoreHRC@gmail.com
- Within cover letter, include a statement of what harm reduction means to you
- Subject line should read: Legislative Advocacy Intern _ [last name]
- Please apply by Friday October 19, 2018